Try out these questions, can you answer all of them correctly? Synthesis and Transformation Q1. “Who is this boy you are playing with?” Mrs Brown asked her daughter. Mrs Brown asked her daughter___________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________. Q2. The salesman was helping the customers when the thief came into the store. The customers _____________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________.
3. You must be fit for the triathlon. You must exercise regularly. ___________________________________ or__________________________________.
4. Mary did not attend training yesterday. She did not come to school today. Mary neither _______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________.
5. You have to peel the skin before you can squeeze the oranges into the juicer. After ____________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________.
6. I warned her not to go. Yet she left. Despite __________________________________________________________________.
7. Mount Everest is the highest peak in the world. No other _________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________.
8. Mr Tan was very grateful to Inspector Roberts for recovering the stolen goods. He gave Inspector Roberts a reward. To express ________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________.
Grammar 1. Her family __________ been bickering over some business issues since last month. (1) had (2) having (3) has (4) have
2 The piano recital interested both _________ and _________. (1) she…..I (2) her..….I (3) her…..me (4) she..…me
3. Neither my parents nor I _______________ available to attend the wedding last week. (1) am (2) are (3) was (4) were
4. The search parties are committed to _______________ their men because of the heavy rain. (1) withdraw (2) withdrew (3) withdrawn (4) withdrawing
5. I could not contact my cousin as he _____________ off his mobile phone. (1) switch (2) switched (3) has switched (4) had switched
6. Never before had I ____________ as far as I ____________ today. (1) run…do (2) ran…do (3) run…did (4) ran…did
7. Peter talks ____________ after the principal corrected him. (1) softest (2) softer (3) most softly (4) more softly
8. A bouquet of tulips __________ freshness and fragrant to the entire dining room. (1) lent (2) lend (3) lends (4) lending
9. The sale was a success as __________ people could resist a good bargain. (1) all (2) few (3) many (4) some
10. The poor villagers _________ the donation funds were directed to benefitted little from the funds. (1) who (2) which (3) whom (4) whose
Answers are found below this page.
This is just a small sample of the questions we use to prepare you for your examinations. Wishing you all the best!!! Answers ( For Synthesis and Transformation) Q1. Mrs Brown asked her daughter who that boy she was playing with was. Q2. The customers were being helped by the salesman when the thief came into the store. Q3. You must exercise regularly or you will be unfit /not be fit for the triathlon. Q4. Mary neither attended training yesterday nor came to school today. Q5. After peeling the skin, you can squeeze the oranges into the juicer. Q6. Despite my warning to her not to go, she left. Q7. No other mountain / peak / summit is as high as Mount Everest. No other mountain / peak / summit is higher than Mount Everest. Q8. To express his gratitude to Inspector Roberts for recovering the stolen goods, Mr Tan gave him a reward.